The 2022 YDSA Convention will be held in-person in Minneapolis, Minnesota from Friday, July 22 – Sunday, July 24. Check this page for updates!
This will be the first in-person convention since the start of the pandemic. We are all super excited to be able to engage with each other face-to-face and collectively shape the direction of the organization with comrades from around the country.
On March 21, the National Coordinating Committee (NCC) passed these draft convention rules. Please stay tuned to your emails for information about convention info calls to get an overview of what the convention will look like and to offer an opportunity for you all to ask questions.
Convention Registration FAQ
What are the steps to registering for the Convention?
- Every Delegate must pay their registration fee. Chapters can pay for their members or members can pay for themselves. You will receive the link to the registration page after your chapter’s delegate list is submitted and your membership is confirmed.
- The Early Bird discounted registration rate of $45 will last until Monday, June 20th, 2022.
- The regular registration rate of $50 will start on Tuesday, June 21st, 2022 and will end with the registration deadline Friday, July 1 at midnight PST.
- After paying for registration or having the registration fee paid for by someone else, every Delegate and Alternate must fill out the secondary registration form (the Registration Survey) which collects pronouns, dietary restrictions, accessibility needs, etc. This form must be filled out by the registration deadline Friday, July 1 at midnight PST.
- Every person who will be attending the Convention must fill this out. If you do not fill this out, you will not be able to attend.
- If you paid or someone paid for you and you did not receive the secondary registration form, please email [email protected] to request a link.
- Determine your housing and traveling situation.
- We have a block of dorm rooms at the University of Minnesota. They are $33 per night for a single room, and there will be shared bathrooms on your floor.
- Housing opens up the afternoon of Thursday, July 21st, the day before the Convention, and stays open until the morning of Monday, July 25th, the day after the convention, for a total of four nights. You may stay as many or as few nights as you would like, but this allows flexibility for those who would like to arrive earlier and leave later.
- If you have not received the housing payment page, please email [email protected] to request a link.
- Note: Solidarity Housing will not be offered at this year’s convention.
- Submit your proof of vaccination (with proof of booster) and negative COVID test. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, registration is pending until the following protocols are met.
- To attend, you must:
- Submit proof of full vaccination including booster
- Submit a negative COVID-19 test result before traveling to the convention
- Bring and wear a mask at all times throughout the convention
- After you register, we will email you forms to securely submit your proof of vaccination and your negative test result. If you have any questions, you can get in touch with us by emailing [email protected]
- If you submitted proof of vaccination for the 2022 YDSA Conference, you do not need to submit proof of vaccination again. You will need to submit a negative COVID-19 test though.
- Failure to comply with these COVID protocols will result in you being unable to attend. There will be no exceptions made.
- To attend, you must:
What are the deadlines for registration?
- Early bird registration opens
- May 13, 2022
- Scholarship deadline
- Jun 10, 2022
- Early bird registration deadline
- Jun 20, 2022
- Regular registration opens
- Jun 21, 2022
- Registration and housing payments deadline
- July 1st, 2022
What are the costs associated with attending the Convention?
- $33 per night for a single room with shared bathrooms.
- $45 early bird rate (ends June 20th)
- $50 normal registration rate (ends July 1st)
- Varies. We recommend booking your travel ASAP.
- Daily Expenses
- Breakfast and lunch are provided on Saturday and Sunday. You will cover any other meals.
Pre-Convention Call Schedule
We are holding a series of calls in the months leading up to the convention to make sure that every YDSA chapter can send a delegation that’s in the loop and fully prepared to engage in the democratic process. Sign up for a call today!
Email [email protected] with any questions.
Here is a list of the upcoming calls:
- 5/31 – Fundraising Info Call
- 6/9 – Running for NCC Info Call
- 6/10 – First Resolution Discussion Call
- 6/16 – Running for NCC Discussion Call (POC & Non-cis-Male Specific)
- 6/23 – Delegate and Alternate Info Call
- 6/30 – Second Resolution Discussion Call
- 7/7 – Self-Organized Caucus Discussion Call
- 7/14 – Third Resolution Discussion Call & Robert’s Rules Training
The first proposal deadline passed on May 8, and the full list of proposals can be found in 2022 YDSA Convention Bulletin #1. Members were able to submit amendments to proposals until Sunday, June 13 via the secondary submissions form.
National Coordinating Committee Elections
YDSA elects its own national leadership every year in the form of the National Coordinating Committee (NCC). The NCC directs the activities, publications, education, general political direction and coalition work of YDSA. At least 50% of the NCC must be self-identified women or gender non-binary people (including one of the co-chairs), and at least 50% of the NCC must also be people of color.
YDSA will elect two Co-Chairs and seven At-Large members for the NCC at the Conference. Candidates may choose to run for Co-Chair or At Large. Co-Chairs will be asked to make a significantly greater time commitment than at-large members. The co-chairs of YDSA are members of the National Political Committee of DSA as well as the National Steering Committee. Only candidates who are willing to devote 10-12 hours a week to national YDSA work should consider running for Co-Chair.
Candidates for Co-Chair will be voted on first at the YDSA Conference. Any candidates that do not win their election for Co-Chair will be added to the pool of candidates for At-Large seats.
All NCC nominees must:
- Be an official member of YDSA (be a dues-paying DSA member in good standing and be on the membership list of an official nationally-recognized YDSA chapter that has received a charter from national which has not expired or been otherwise nullified).
- Receive five (5) nominations from official YDSA members.
- Be 29 years old or younger
Week of March 21
- Primary Submissions open
- NCC nominations open
Sunday, April 10
- Final Deadline for chapter applications and renewals
Sunday, April 24
- Final deadline for official chapters to submit membership list updates. All updates must be submitted through the chapter affiliation form.
Sunday, May 8
- Primary Submissions Close
- National office sends out delegate apportionment (the max number of delegates each chapter can send to convention based on membership number) to all official chapters.
- First convention bulletin
- Secondary submissions open
Monday, June 13
- Deadline for chapters to submit the results of their delegate elections
- Secondary submissions close
Monday, June 20
- NCC nominations close
Friday, June 24
- Final convention bulletin
Friday, June 24
- Convention registration deadline
Friday, July 22 – Sunday, July 24
- 2022 YDSA Convention